Ashford And Our Military and Veteran Students
Ashford University is approved to offer VA education benefits through the Arizona State Approving Agency (Arizona SAA). Ashford therefore is also eligible to offer Tuition Assistance (TA benefits).
According to the Department of Defense (DoD), educational institutions must be approved to receive VA education benefits to also be approved to receive TA funding. Ashford University is currently approved to offer VA education benefits through the Arizona SAA and therefore, by extension, also serve students eligible for TA benefits.
We have been working closely with DoD Voluntary Education, keeping them informed of Ashford’s status and making sure VA and TA benefits continue for our students. This website is designed to give you an accurate and complete understanding of the situation regarding Ashford University and VA education benefits, and how that might relate to TA benefits.
Here are the facts:
- Ashford University is currently approved to offer VA education benefits through the Arizona State Approving Agency (Arizona SAA).
- The Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) has questioned the approval from the Arizona SAA, and believes Ashford University should be approved through the California State Approving Agency for Veterans Education (CSAAVE).
- On November 17, Ashford University filed a Petition to Review* in Federal Court against the VA.
- During this process Ashford University remains in negotiations with the VA to seek a satisfactory resolution that ensure benefits will not be interrupted.
- As part of those negotiations, Ashford agreed to pursue approval to offer VA education benefits through CSAAVE. Ashford submitted its application to CSAAVE on January 5, 2018. On February 21, 2018, the California State Approving Agency for Veterans Education (“CSAAVE”), provided notice of its intention not to act on Ashford University’s initial application for approval for the training of veterans and other eligible persons. The notice directs Ashford to request approval of its application by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Ashford intends to respond to the notice by providing the additional information and continuing to work in good faith with CSAAVE and the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- As stated in an e-mail from the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) to Ashford students on January 23, 2018, “At this point in time, VA will continue to pay benefits as long as Ashford continues to make a good faith effort to seek approval in California.”
- In no case have the issues raised by the VA criticized or questions the quality or value of an Ashford education.
We are focused on protecting your right to use your VA and TA benefits to pursue high-quality education at an institution whose faculty and staff understand your needs and are dedicated to your academic success. We pledge our continued support as you pursue your academic program.
We’ll continue to update this website with up-to-date information as it becomes available.
*A Petition for Review is an available remedy when it appears a federal agency has created rules without following requirements codified in the Administrative Procedure Act (APA). The petition is filed with the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in Washington, D.C. and asks that Court to review the federal agency’s actions to determine whether they were consistent with the APA.
Read additional information and details on the current situation, and see the alerts we’ve shared with students.
Our 2017 Military Community Accomplishments
Discover all we’ve done to improve the military student experience, and the work we’ve done in the military community.
Print it Out
This fact sheet discusses our military and veteran benefits, as well as shares a few veteran student success stories.
Share Your Voice!
Are you a current Ashford University student using VA benefits, or alumni? Share your thoughts here.
Straight from Our Students
What Ashford University means from those who matter the most – our students.
Latest Student Email: Ashford University Update on Approval for VA Benefits (Jan 5, 2018)
Today we submitted our application to the California State Approving Agency for Veterans Education (CSAAVE). As stated in an e-mail from the VA to you on December 13, 2017, "As long as Ashford is pursuing this application in good faith, VA will continue to pay benefits. Approval by California would resolve VA's concerns and allow uninterrupted benefits for students attending Ashford."